(BVI NEWS) – Premier Andrew Fahie has sought to dispel public fears over the first suspected case of the Novel Coronavirus in the British Virgin Islands.
Addressing the public during an impromptu press conference at the House of Assembly on Thursday (February 27), the Premier said: “First of all, we do not have a confirmed case of the coronavirus in the BVI.”
“We have a case in terms of a person who had entered the BVI that was coming from away [and who] showed some symptoms that created concerns. And since then, the person has been tested and quarantined,” the Premier further said.
The individual is under quarantine at their home, Fahie stated. He said initial tests were conducted and more samples have been sent to Trinidad for further testing.
“All the tests have not returned as yet because they are still two or three days off before the final results come. But we can say it is most unlikely, but we cannot confirm 100 percent.”
The leader of government business said the other tests were conducted “to be on the side of caution”.
Person in question arrived via aircraft
The Premier said the person in question had entered the territory on an aircraft last weekend. He said, based on the aircraft’s flight manifest, the said individual was among a total of six passengers — five of whom are non-nationals.
In the meantime, a search is reportedly underway for several other persons who were said to be in contact with the individual in question. Those persons along with the five passengers will be assessed, the Premier told members of the media.
“We want the people of the Virgin Islands to know that we continue to exercise all options to ensure the safety of the people of the Virgin Islands as much as possible,” he said.
A meeting with local stakeholders was recently had to examine and look at the areas that need strengthening as it relates to safeguarding against the coronavirus, Premier Fahie said.