Share This On:
(GIS) – The Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan) continues to play a tremendous role in improving the education sector in Saint Lucia.
Most recently, the Ambassador of the Republic of China (Taiwan) to Saint Lucia, His Excellency Douglas Shen, presented 30 ASUS laptops to the Boys Training Centre. HE Douglas Shen noted that the intiative will allow the wards at the centre an opportunity to develop their technologicial skills.
“Asus is one of the biggest and most popular computer companies,” Ambassador Shen said. “You may not know that Taiwan produces roughly 30 percent of laptops worldwide.”
Referring to the donation as timely and important, the General Manager of the Boys Training Centre, Wang Sonson, expressed gratitude to the Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan).
“The education program for the boys training centre is improving,” Mr. Sonson said. “I have been trying to bring it up to a standard where it will on par with the other schools. Recently, we had a young man gain A Level 2 CVQ in mechanics. The donation of laptops will go toward enhancing what we have at the centre.”
Prime Minister of Saint Lucia, Hon. Allen Chastanet, said the laptops will be part of a program that will assist with the boys’ rehabilitation.
“Our friends from Taiwan have come through for Saint Lucia once again,” he said. “Representatives from the Taiwanese Embassy here in Saint Lucia headed by Ambassador, His Excellency Douglas Shen, made a presentation of 30 Asus laptops to the Saint Lucia Boys Training Centre located in Massade, Gros Islet.
“These laptops will form part of a programme at helping develop the technological aptitude and skills of the boys housed at the center. Once again, my sincerest thanks to our friends from Taiwan and AsusTek Computer Inc. for this most welcome donation.”
The handing over ceremony took place on Monday, Nov. 18.
- Suspected case of coronavirus in BVI – Local health officials thrust into ’emergency meeting’ February 27, 2020 3:43 PM
- PAHO calls for stepped up preparedness for Coronavirus February 27, 2020 3:03 PM
- Dr. Kenny Anthony appeals for assistance for fire victims in Vieux-Fort February 27, 2020 2:19 PM
- WASCO responds to Richard Frederick’s statement on ‘Can I Help You’ program February 27, 2020 2:14 PM
- Castries Constituency Council workers return to work February 27, 2020 9:05 AM
- RSS to present crime scene investigations equipment to St. Lucia police February 27, 2020 8:57 AM
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM