Share This On:
By Terry Finisterre, SNO Sport Correspondent
Remember 2012, when Daren Sammy eschewed the fame and fortune of the Bangladesh Premier League so that he could play for Windward Islands? Well, with a bit of time off T20 leagues, he is set to go back to his roots.
The former West Indies captain is set to make his return to the glorious green of the Windward Islands Volcanoes, when the sub-regional team lines up for the Nagico Regional Super-50 in January. He was one of three Saint Lucians named to the squad earlier this week for next month’s one-day tournament.
Not since 2011 has Sammy played in the Regional Super-50, which was then called the WICB Cup. He was absent on West Indies duty in 2011 and 2013, on which latter occasion Liam Sebastien led the Windwards to just their third List A title ever. In 2014, Sammy was again missing for the Windwards through injury.
The former Windward Islands captain’s List A batting average is right in line with his international mark, 24.58 to 24.94, the latter at a run a ball from 105 ODI innings for West Indies. He has made 13 half centuries in 157 List A innings, with 154 wickets in 187 matches, at an average of 37.68 runs per wicket.
Also on the team is West Indies opening batsman Johnson Charles. Remarkably, the veteran of 81 matches across the ODI and T20i formats actually has a poorer regional average – 24.93 – than his mark of 26.72 on the international ODI scene. He has three fifties and six hundreds in regional competition.
A newcomer to the squad is 24-year-old left arm Chinaman bowler and middle order batsman Audy Alexander, who made his first-class debut just last weekend. Audy is from Choiseul.
The Volcanoes team will be led by Liam Sebastien with Andre Fletcher as his deputy. Reportedly, the franchise has opted not to renew the contract of long-time coach Ian Alleyne, so Saint Lucia’s Alton Crafton – the team’s manager – will lead from the dugout, in a situation reminiscent of the West Indies since letting Phil Simmons go.
The full squad reads:
- Saint Lucian in Taiwan’s top TV singing contest November 19, 2019 8:06 AM
- Turmoil in Dominica as protesters and police clash (see video) November 19, 2019 7:55 AM
- Mayor Francis unhappy over disarmament of cop by bandits November 19, 2019 7:34 AM
- CSA happy over collective agreement with LUCELEC but … November 19, 2019 7:19 AM
- Saint Lucia Forensic Lab working to build public confidence, says director November 19, 2019 4:31 AM
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM