Share This On:
(Fort Worth Star-Telegram) — A former Fort Worth officer has been arrested and charged with murder in the shooting death of Atatiana Jefferson, according to jail and court records.
Aaron York Dean, 34, resigned from Fort Worth Police Department on Monday morning. Early Saturday morning, he shot and killed Jefferson, 28, inside her home while responding to a call from a neighbor about the front door being open, police said.
Dean was listed as an inmate in the Tarrant County Jail as of 6:50 p.m. Monday night, according to records.
Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus identified the officer as Dean, who has served about 18 months with the Fort Worth Police Department. Kraus said he was going to fire the officer had he not resigned Monday morning.
Kraus said a criminal investigation is ongoing and he expects to release a “substantial update” by Tuesday on whether charges will be filed. The FBI also has been briefed to investigate possible civil rights violations, he said.
Kraus said Dean has not cooperated with the investigation and has not answered questions from investigators.
Dean resigned in a one-sentence letter, according to the Associated Press. The letter said: “Effective immediately I am tendering my resignation from the Fort Worth Police Department.” The letter was released by the state’s largest police union, the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas.
- Conservationists frown on illegal dumping practices near nature site February 14, 2020 2:25 PM
- Dengue rising in the Caribbean says PAHO February 14, 2020 12:50 PM
- Killer asteroid to miss earth by 3.6 million miles on Saturday February 14, 2020 11:42 AM
- Educators trained in using library books to bring classroom lessons to life February 14, 2020 9:39 AM
- Beware fake news and myths about coronavirus, warns tourism health specialists February 13, 2020 12:17 PM
- British airways adds new flights from London to Saint Lucia February 13, 2020 11:36 AM
- Concern over meat and fish imports from China February 13, 2020 10:36 AM
- Foreign national tests negative for coronavirus February 12, 2020 9:43 PM
- Results of quarantined non-national expected by end of week February 12, 2020 12:08 PM