Share This On:
Police said they have arrested the suspected bandit who was disarmed and beaten by patrons of a shop he allegedly attempted to rob at gunpoint on Sunday.
The suspect is currently in police custody with his lawyer at the Babonneau Police Station, police said.
He was arrested at his residence in Castries today.
The suspect will likely remain in custody for up to 72 hours. If enough evidence is gathered against him he may be charged.
Senior police officials were infuriated when they learned that the suspect, who was hospitalised after the beating, was discharged from Victoria Hospital on Tuesday morning and was never under police guard.
To add to insult to injury, the lawmen did not get any official statements from the eyewitnesses who allegedly refused to cooperate with them, and the gun used in the crime was never handed over to the police.
Without any concrete evidence, particularly the witness statements, the police have little to stand on.
They are hoping that the witnesses will come forward and give official statements so that they can place charges against the suspect.
Reports are that around 1 a.m. Sunday, the suspect, dressed in all black and wearing a mask, brandished a gun at patrons of the shop who were playing a card game, and demanded money while taking rum.
However, the patrons allegedly put up a fight with the suspect, overpowered him and relieved him of his firearm.
He was then beaten severely and stripped naked.
Photos of the suspect, naked and bleeding, was posted on social media, and it went viral instantly.
Police said they are also seeking two alleged accomplices, who were believed to be in the getaway car which drove off when their alleged partner in crime was caught.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM