Share This On:
(SNO) – Saint Lucia’s three most recent West Indies youth selectees have been named to the Windward Islands age group team to contest the Regional Under-17 Tournament.
Saint Lucia has a whopping seven players in the squad, according to a social media post by an executive member of the National Cricket Association. The tournament is scheduled to come off in July in Tobago.
The septet is led, though, by a young man who is yet to earn West Indies selection. Simeon Gerson, a clever spin bowler, has led St. Mary’s College, Gros Islet and Saint Lucia to glory in the past, and he will be looked upon to do the same for the young Windwards. Last year, in five matches, Simeon led the Windward Islands bowling with eight wickets at an average of 9.5., whilst giving up just 2.22 runs per over.
Fresh off winning the Sandals Under-19 50-Overs Tournament with Gros Islet, Garvin Serieux Jr. will stand as vice captain. Another returnee from 2017, Garvin is also a former West Indies Under-16 player. Last year for Windwards, he played just two matches and batted just once. But in that sole innings, he smashed a typically classy 50, and he managed to capture five wickets as well.
Fellow West Indies Under-16 player Lee Solomon will also make the journey. He made 46, 43, 32 and 24 during the regional team’s trip to England in 2017. In five matches for the Windwards, he was less stellar, amassing just 39 runs from four innings, and capturing three wickets at a 9.33 average. He will want to lift his game to West Indies levels this term.
Also making a return to the Windward Islands Under-17 team is Dominic Auguste, another player who had a forgettable tournament in 2017. He played just twice, and batted but once, making 22. This year, he will definitely wish to make amends.
But one youngster on whom many will be focused is a second Auguste, Under-17 debutant Ackeem. As voracious and as technically sound a youth batsman as you will find, Ackeem led Saint Lucia to the Windward Islands Under-15 crown in 2017, then made the Windwards U15 team, before being named just last month to the West Indies U16.
Those five will be joined by Gerson’s “spin twin,” Keygan Arnold, and Tyran Theodore. These boys will be eager to prove themselves at this level, as they surely will hope to emulate fello Saint Lucian, Kimani Melius, who moved on from the Under-17 ranks this year and went on to shine for West Indies at the ICC Under-19 World Cup.
- Dominicans vote amid fears of violence December 6, 2019 9:50 AM
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM