Share This On:
(SNO) — West Indies B beat Canada by 10 runs on the opening day of the Cricket West Indies Super50 Cup on Wednesday (October 3) at the Brian Lara Stadium, Tarouba, Trinidad and Tobago.
Teenage Saint Lucia opening batsman Kimani Melius, on his Super50 debut, set a belligerent tone with 46 runs off 47 balls, including four fours and three sixes, for a 97.87 strike rate.
The Boguis batsman eventually fell to Salman Nazar, but 19-year-old Keagan Simmons and 18-year-old Kirstan Kallicharan had perished prior.
Veteran middle order batsman Marlon Samuels struck 101 and Yannic Cariah carried the B team to a total of 302/8. Canada were held to 292/8 in their 50 overs.
In the other match played on the opening day, 23-year-old Larry Edwards took 1-29 from four overs and claimed a scatch against Trinidad and Tobago, as the defending champion Windward Islands Volcanoes got off to a rough start.
The Red Force won by a whopping 75 runs – the home team made 220/8, and Edwards did not bat as the Volcanoes were held to a meagre 145/8.
Saint Lucia’s Melius in West Indies B Team for Super50
(SNO) — Young Saint Lucian cricketer Kimani Melius has gotten a recall to the West Indies B Team to take part in the Cricket West Indies Regional Super 50, which bowls off in Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago in early October.
The West Indies B team will play in Group A of the tournament, and includes home team Trinidad and Tobago Red Force, defending champions the Windward Islands Volcanoes, Guyana Jaguars, and Canada.
Melius, who holds the record for schoolboy cricket in Saint Lucia, as well as the record for the highest score ever attained in Saint Lucia, last represented the West Indies B Team in the recently concluded Canada Summerfest.
The Babonneau Secondary alumnus has over 24 triple-figure scores to his credit at various levels. Aged just 17, he hails from the community of Boguis, Babonneau, but plays for Gros Islet in domestic cricket.
Playing for the Windward Islands in the 2018 Cricket West Indies Under-19 tournament, Melous was the leading scorer in the competition. Hee was a member of the West Indies youth team to the ICC Under-19 World Cup earlier this year.
West Indies B will play their opening match against Canada on October 3.
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM