Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR SAINT LUCIA.
AT 11:00 A.M TODAY, THE CENTRE OF HURRICANE MARIA WAS NEAR LATITUDE 14.7 NORTH, LONGITUDE 60.1 WEST, OR 60 MILES OR 97 KM EAST NORTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA. MARIA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH OR 19 KM/H WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED EXPECTED.
ON THE FORECAST TRACK, THE CENTRE OF MARIA IS EXPECTED TO MOVE ACROSS THE NORTHERN WINDWARD ISLANDS LATER TODAY.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 120 MPH OR 195 KM/H WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL RAPID STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.
HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 15 MILES OR 30 KM
FROM THE CENTRE AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 125 MILES OR 205 KM.
OUTERBANDS OF MARIA ARE EXPECTED TO PRODUCE HEAVY SHOWERS, GUSTY WINDS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER SAINT LUCIA TODAY.
ROUGH SEAS GENERATED BY HURRICANE MARIA WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT SAINT LUCIA WITH WAVES AND SWELLS 12 TO 17 FEET OR 3.7 TO 5.2 METRES FOR THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS. SMALL CRAFT AND LOCAL FISHERMEN ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO REMAIN IN PORT AND RESIDENTS ARE ALSO ADVISED TO STAY AWAY FROM THE BEACHES.
PERSONS LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING AND LANDSLIDES ARE ADVISED TO EXERCISE VIGILANCE.
RESIDENTS OF SAINT LUCIA AND THE REST OF THE WINDWARD AND LEEWARD ISLANDS ARE ASKED TO CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.
REPEATING THE 11:00 AM. POSITION OF HURRICANE MARIA, LATITUDE 14.7 NORTH, LONGITUDE 60.1 WEST OR 60 MILES OR 97 KM EAST NORTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA.
THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED AT 2:00 PM TODAY.
- Mayor Francis commends emergency personnel for heroic response to Thursday’s city fire November 22, 2019 1:12 PM
- Minister discusses health financing at Global Fund meeting November 22, 2019 1:05 PM
- Temporary closure of affected Gov’t Departments due to recent fire November 22, 2019 10:25 AM
- Voyager building entirely gutted by massive blaze says PM Chastanet November 22, 2019 9:38 AM
- Final phase of Sandals to Choc Road Widening Project November 22, 2019 7:12 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Fire at Voyager building in Castries November 21, 2019 1:59 PM
- BTC receives new laptops November 21, 2019 10:19 AM
- US representative to OAS says political situation in Dominica ‘worrisome’ November 21, 2019 8:29 AM
- OBE Award recipients get high praise from PM Chastanet November 20, 2019 4:00 PM