Share This On:
Updated at 11:08 p.m. to include news about the arrest of second suspect
Law enforcement officials in Dallas, US said they have made a breakthrough in the fatal shooting of Joshua Brown but it has nothing to do with the recent murder trial of ex-cop Amber Guyger.
Officials said his death is linked to a sour drug deal.
The 28-year-old was reportedly gunned down in a parking lot last week Friday, days after testifying in the trial of Guyger who was found guilty by a jury and sentenced to 10 years in prison for shooting Brown’s neighbour, Botham Jean, in his own apartment in September 2018. Guyger claimed she mistook the apartment for hers and thought Jean, a 26-year-old St. Lucian-born accountant, was a burglar.
Following Brown’s execution 10 days after the trial, many people speculated on social media that his death may be linked to him testifying against Guyger, and amid reports that he was scheduled to testify in a civil lawsuit against the Dallas police.
However, reports coming of Dallas on Tuesday, Oct. 8 have indicated that Brown was killed in a marijuana deal gone wrong — with three suspects.
They initially arrested one suspect, 20-year-old Jacquerious Mitchell, and was able to apprehend. later on Tuesday, a second suspect, 32-year-old Michael Diaz Mitchell, who was reportedly caught in Louisiana and taken into custody there.
The third suspect, 22-year-old Thaddeous Charles Green, remains at large. Police said Green is armed and dangerous.
Media reports indicate that the three suspects went to Brown’s apartment complex to buy marijuana when an argument and altercation developed. Jacquerious Mitchell was wounded in the fight, and he allegedly told the police, according to media reports, that it was Green who shot Brown twice.
Brown died while receiving treatment at a hospital.
One of the suspects took Brown’s backpack and gun before fleeing the scene, reports indicate.
Green and Michael Diaz Mitchell dropped the wounded Jacquerious Mitchell at a hospital and then fled the state, reports further stated.
WFAA news channel has reported that 12 pounds of marijuana, 149 grams of THC cartridges, and $4,157 cash were taken from Brown’s apartment when police conducted a search after the shooting.
Assistant Chief Avery Moore told WFAA that the rumors surrounding Brown’s death have been false all along and encouraged “community leaders” to be careful of what they say.
“The rumors shared by community leaders that Mr. Brown’s death was related to the Amber Guyger trial and that the Dallas Police Department was responsible are false. We encourage those leaders to be mindful because their words may jeopardize the integrity of the city of Dallas and Dallas Police Department,” Moore is quoted as saying by WFAA.
- Three nabbed in connection with Dennery armed robbery October 19, 2019 10:13 PM
- Slain Jamaican guard was planning to bring ‘partner’, relatives to Saint Lucia: sources October 19, 2019 8:16 PM
- Gros Islet man chopped in the neck in stable condition: official October 19, 2019 12:02 PM
- Man shot in Jetrine, Saltibus October 19, 2019 11:45 AM
- Saint Lucians seek Cricket West Indies Level 1 Coaches certification October 19, 2019 9:34 AM
- UPDATE: Jamaican security guard gunned down in Balata October 19, 2019 9:16 AM
- UPDATE: Man found stabbed to death in Vieux Fort identified October 19, 2019 8:43 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Man found dead in Vieux Fort October 19, 2019 8:08 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Johnson Charles to play in United Arab Emirates T10 October 19, 2019 7:50 AM