Share This On:
Parliamentary Representative for Castries South East Guy Joseph has filed an injunction in the High Court against the Boundaries Commission, which recently approved the realignment of constituency boundaries.
The action, which was filed on February 17, 2015, seeks to restrain the governor general, through the attorney general, from making any order or proclamation for a period of 14 days.
In addition to the Boundaries Commission being named the first defendant in the action, the prime minister and the attorney general are named second and third defendants, respectively.
The matter will be heard on February 27, 2015 at 9 a.m. before Justice Frances Belle in the High Court.
There has been a number of debates regarding this issue. While some persons believe that the realignment is long overdue, others have questioned the urgency of making provisions for additional constituencies.
Some persons have also said the country cannot afford it now. However, others have said that by whatever means the country must adhere to the recommendations, in order to better serve the people.
The Constituency Boundaries Commission has recommended that the number of constituencies be increased from 17 to 21.
The Commission recommends that Gros-Islet to be divided into three constituencies and a new constituency be created by conjoining contiguous parts of Babonneau, Castries North and Castries East to reduce on the size of those constituencies.
It also recommended that a new constituency be created from Castries South East and Castries South, to reduce on the size of Castries South East.
More Politics Stories
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020
- Mary Isaac under fire for statements made on death of former councilman February 11, 2020
- Mayor to Cannabis Movement: “I am on board!” February 10, 2020
- SLP calls for results of gov’t investigations February 6, 2020
- SLP salutes Neville Skeete – An amazing human being February 6, 2020
- Vieux Fort South MP gives WASCO the cold shoulder January 30, 2020