BREAKING NEWS: Game left charging may have caused Riviere Mitant fire

23
BREAKING NEWS: Game left charging may have caused Riviere Mitant fire
The game, cell phones and other items on this table were destroyed by the fire.
The game, cell phones and other items on this table were destroyed by the fire.

Fire officials suspect that a game left charging may have triggered a house fire in Riviere Mitant, Gros Islet around noon today.

The three-bedroom, incomplete wall structure belongs to Sandals Grande employee Shanna Benjamin.

Her two children – ages 11 and nine along with a teenage relative who lives next door – were reportedly in the yard when the fire started.

Her 11-year-old son Denzil told St. Lucia News Online that after he met the television stand on fire, he immediately opened all the doors and windows in the house and went to call for help. He then ran back and used a hose to try to put out the fire.

The game along with cell phones and other items on a table were destroyed. Only the game was charging when the fire started.


(0)(0)

No posts to display

23 COMMENTS

  1. Almost all the writers are correct in their own ways. You do not open doors and windows during a building fire because the effect is to bring in oxygen which the fire needs. Also, never put out an electrical fire with water because you increase the possibilities of being shocked. Yes, it is an 11-year old kid and he may not be in possession of that knowledge.

    When I lived home, I remember officials coming to our school and others, to educate us about our parrot and how to protect it. My generation was sensitized about an important issue. Each time I visit home, I cringe to see the number of unsafe acts taking place. I believe it is time to block off a certain amount time in the school's schedule dedicated towards Safety/Environment education. You may as well write-off the older generation because they will continue to commit unsafe acts anyway. Needless to say, they will pay the price as you witness daily.

    (0)(0)

  2. An 11 year old opening doors and windows because his house is on fire seems normal to me, (not saying that its the right thing) but how many 11 year olds actually knw that oxygen feeds fuels a fire...I'm sure more than 3/4 of the st.lucian population are unaware of that. Most children that age would most likely stay and try to extinguish the fire on their own until its too late...acknowledge the fact that he was brave and smart enough to get help, all wasnt lost and everyone is safe, most

    (0)(0)

  3. That was my aunty house:( And I am the teen cusen who lives next door.So sad to see my little cusens crying and they where so afraid!But it could be worse , thanks god my cusen werent in the house.Now they are safe and I am proud of my little cusen.He is very brave from small.And the time when my cusen opened the doors and windows, there wasnt any fire only smoke.The only time when the fire came back is when they throw water on the electricity.

    (0)(0)

  4. Brave boy he did what he thought best in the circumstances, another thing for everyone to know is you do not put water on electrical fires.

    (0)(0)

  5. Let us stop trying to criticize people's comments. The person was just bringing to our attention dangers of opening the doors and windows during a fire. Clearly the boy didn't know or he panicked.

    (0)(0)

  6. Never enter a burning house much less opening doors and windows. we need ti educate our kids regarding the dangers of fire.

    (0)(0)

    • It would be a good thing if the St.Lucia Fire Service would make it their duty to go to schools around the island to educate young people on fire prevention etc., but instead, the service is embroiled in all kinds of issues and sick-outs etc.

      (0)(0)

  7. poor boy he didn't know any better. At least he wasn't scared and tried to do something to save the house. i should say he is brave 11 year old

    (0)(0)

  8. Her 11-year-old son Denzil told St. Lucia News Online that after he met the television stand on fire, he immediately opened all the doors and windows in the house and went to call for help. He then ran back and used a hose to try to put out the fire.--

    OPENING DOORS AND WINDOWS IS THE WRONG THING TO DO WHEN THERE IS A FIRE. DOING THIS FEEDS THE FIRE OXYGEN, WHICH ALLOWS IT TO GROW AND SPREAD QUICKER. HOPE THEY DIDN'T LOSE EVERYTHING.

    (0)(0)

    • Yes, this may not be the right thing to do but . . . are you serious? It is an 11 year old who may have not received the training that you have. So, give him a break.

      (0)(0)

      • Mad Cow,

        I'm not getting on him. I'm just putting it out there so people, young & old, will know, so maybe when there is another fire, hopefully the person will do different. Each one teach one. God Bless.

        (0)(0)

    • I am not an expert. There was a fire in a house next to my home being occupied by an alcoholic. Inside the house was almost totally engulf. All doors and windows were closed. when I threw a rock through the glass door, the fire subsided. Again, I am not an fire expert and would like a expert to clarify this debate. Because of my experience I believe the boy did the right thing.

      (0)(0)

      • Heat, fuel, and oxygen are among four elements required to start a fire. There is obviously more oxygen in an open house than a closed one. Because there is more oxygen house, conditions are better to sustain a fire. Anyone element that is withdrawn from a fire will out.

        (0)(0)

      • Well I'm no expert myself. But what I do know is there must be three ingredients for a fire which is called the fire triangle. Heat or Ignition source, Oxygen and fuel. For your situation with the stone I would assume you stifled the fire by introducing to much oxygen to the fire. Which may have been the same for the 11year old boy. The fire had started due to the right amount of all the ingredients.

        (0)(0)

Comments are closed.