FIRE UPDATE: Minor damage at Triple N Bookstore

20
FIRE UPDATE: Minor damage at Triple N Bookstore
The owner pointing to the damages.
The owner pointing to the damages.

The Triple N Bookstore in Castries sustained minimal damage when a fire of electrical origin broke out at about 8:15 p.m. Saturday, July 19.

It was confirmed by the owner of the bookstore that the fire started from a cash register.

A resident in the area claimed that he first saw smoke emanating from the top of the building. After realising that the store was on fire, a call was made to the Fire Service.

A team responded within minutes and barricades were placed around the area. Fire fighters had to await the arrival of the owner, who had the keys to the shuttle, to gain entry into the bookstore.

There were several persons looking on as fire officials helped to contain the fire.

The owner of the bookstore, Niles Nathaniel, told St. Lucia News Online (SNO) that he received a call around 8:30 p.m. informing him of the incident.

According to the owner, a cash register was mistakenly left on by a staff. However, he claims that there was a notice close to these registers, which served as a reminder for all staff to unplug electrical cables and plugs before leaving.

While Nathaniel could not put a price to the damages caused by the fire, he said the entire cash register section, which included several stationery and office supplies, were destroyed.

Nathaniel said he has been operating his bookstore for over 15 years, but never encountered such an incident. However, he said the store is fully insured.

He praised the Fire Service for their quick response and said if it were not for them, he would have probably been out of business. Despite the situation, the owner plans to clean up this weekend and re-open his business by Tuesday.

(0)(0)

No posts to display

20 COMMENTS

  1. God is this the Light, Sorry to hear about the fire,specially that this time of year when so much money was invested in purchasing book and stationery for our kids education.My God bless and give you strengh during this time.

    (0)(0)

  2. So sad, however thank God it's minor damage.Parents and students rely totally on this store for school supplies. I wish you well as you continue to grow as a business.And please have compassion on the staff who forgot to unplug the switch.No one is perfect.

    (0)(0)

  3. "Fire fighters had to await the arrival of the owner, who had the keys to the shuttle, to gain entry into the bookstore."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How about if the owner was coming from Gros islet or Monchy; would they still have waited before attacking the fire? Where is their bolt-cutting equipment?

    (0)(0)

  4. Whether or not the cash register was left on, this was an accident waiting to happen since it's electrical. Thanks God it did not happen during working hours because persons could have been injured or who knows even electrocuted. Thorough investigation has to be undertaken so there is no way this place will be opened on Tuesday.

    (0)(0)

  5. Never heard that before. Ridiculous. Firemen waiting for an owner to bring keys to open up. They suppose to break in and do their work. The consequences of they waiting could have been many.

    (0)(0)

    • Depending on the size of the fire, it was probably wise to wait on the owner instead of breaking in and causing additional, unnecessary damage to the owner's property.

      (0)(0)

  6. in a way im not completely surprised. have you BEEN to that store, its like walking into an oven. something must have finally overheated.
    the book store is a successful business and the owner can't even invest in an a/c unit. they've just got about one, maybe 2, measly fans that hardly do anything

    (0)(0)

  7. Sad. Hope not much damage will be done after all this time of year is when they would be able to gather some form of profit. ( school book shopping)

    (0)(0)

Comments are closed.