Share This On:
Police are investigating the discovery of a headless and decomposed body in a river in Grace, Vieux Fort.
The body, which appears to be that of a male was discovered in an “advanced state” of decomposition, a senior law enforcement source told St. Lucia News Online.
The body was discovered “one mile upstream” of the Grace Intake in Vieux Fort, the Water and Sewerage Company Inc (WASCO) said in a news release on Friday afternoon.
It was not immediately clear if death resulted from foul play. And our newsroom has not yet received official confirmation that the corpse’s head was found.
WASCO said the discovery was made late Thursday afternoon by an unknown individual and the body was removed Friday morning.
“Local police were summoned and immediately commenced a search of the area. The search was subsequently called off, around 8pm due to poor visibility in the area, but lawmen recommenced the search early Friday morning,” WASCO stated in the release.
WASCO further stated that according to reports received, “a decapitated body was fished out of the river by local police on Friday and investigations into the circumstances surrounding the demise of the individual are ongoing”.
In the meantime, the water company assures the public that the water in that area is safe for consumption.
“While the public awaits the outcome of the police investigation, WASCO remains acutely aware of the level of public concern over the safety of the water drawn from the grace intake, given the latest development. We therefore take the opportunity to assure the public that WASCO operates within the strictest safety standards set by the World Health Organization (WHO),” the release stated.
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM
- Alert of “Assured” brand products January 16, 2020 3:20 PM
- Government aims to reduce serious crime by 45 percent January 16, 2020 2:33 PM
- 2020 Saint Lucia Summer Festival launched January 16, 2020 1:28 PM
- BVI: ‘Earthquake swarm’ leaves researchers puzzled and DDM on ‘high alert’ January 16, 2020 11:37 AM
- St Lucian artist Shaaiae collaborates with Gaza international artist Shawn Storm January 16, 2020 9:09 AM
- Central Statistical Office commences mapping for 2020 census January 15, 2020 11:34 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Earthquake shakes Dominica again January 14, 2020 8:56 PM