Share This On:
.A bandit who was disarmed and beaten by patrons of a shop in Girard, Babonneau last Sunday has been formally charged, police said.
Police said 25-year-old Reynolds Alfred of Carielle, Castries was this morning charged with robbery and appeared in court
Alfred was reportedly charged after an identification parade/procedure this morning, and eyewitnesses have finally given official statements to police after they initially refused to cooperate, sources say.
Reports are that around 1 a.m. Sunday, Alfred, wearing a mask, dressed in full black and armed with a gun, entered a shop/bar in Girard and demanded money from persons in the bar and also took rum.
However, the patrons put up a fight and overpowered him and took the firearm.
He was then beaten, stripped naked, and his photos were posted on social media.
Shortly after the beating, police were alerted and they took him to Victoria Hospital in serious but stable condition.
Alfred was discharged on Tuesday morning and was reportedly not under police guard when he left the hospital. It was also revealed at the time that police had not received any official witness statements.
Police arrested him at his residence on Thursday and brought him into custody, accompanied by his lawyer.
Police are now seeking at least two suspects who were reported to have been in a getaway car at the scene of the crime.
The firearm used in the robbery was never handed over to police. However, on Thursday evening, around 8:30 at Hill 20, Babonneau, police reportedly recovered an Uzi submachine gun and two rounds of ammunition in a nylon bag, that was allegedly dropped by two suspicious males who ran after seeing two off-duty police officers approaching them.
- Prime Minister takes aim at US, UK financial regulations February 21, 2020 1:42 PM
- Family of Benignus Henry issue a plea for support February 21, 2020 12:30 PM
- PM Chastanet welcomes positive comments on CIP’s impact on economic performance of St Lucia and OECS February 21, 2020 9:22 AM
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM