Share This On:
(SNO) – ‘Sons and Daughters of Saint Lucia’ will be played once again at the Central American and Caribbean Games!
Levern Spencer won her third consecutive women’s high jump title on Thursday evening in Barranquilla, Colombia, extending her record as the most successful female high jumper ever from the English-speaking Caribbean.
When Spencer entered the event at 1.82m, there were but seven other women in contention. She cleared the height at the first attempt and then passed at 1.84m, a height which eliminated all but two of her rivals.
At 1.86m, Colombia’s and Mexico’s were able to hang with the Commonwealth Games champion, but they needed two and three trials respectively to so do. At 1.88m, Spencer passed again, watching as both the Mexican and the Colombian failed.
It was all down to the pride of Babonneau at 1.90m, a height she duly conquered, before a single try at 1.95m prior to retiring. It is left to be seen whether she will have the opportunity to defend her NACAC Championship title when that meet gets underway in Canada next week.
The 23rd edition of the CAC Games also saw a national record set by Sandisha Antoine in the women’s triple jump. Sandisha, who is based in Martinique, had given serious thought to quitting the sport this year. Happily, she soldiered on, and cleared 13.91 to highlight the best series of her life.
Albert Reynolds, meanwhile, was well below his best in the men’s javelin throw, flinging the spear 73.56m to finish seventh.
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort wins ‘America’s Most Eco-Friendly Hotel’ award November 9, 2019 1:45 PM
- VIDEO: Schoolgirls, two women fight at Castries fast food outlet November 9, 2019 1:17 PM
- Cow thief arrested by Anse La Raye police November 8, 2019 10:20 PM