Share This On:
Saint Lucia’s two-time Male Athlete of the Year, Albert Reynolds, has accepted an invitation to compete at the IAAF World Athletics Championships to be held in Doha, Qatar 2019.
The national record holder in men’s javelin throw, Reynolds was told of the invitation and accepted on Friday, September 20. The meet is scheduled for September 27 to October 6.
Although the 2019 Pan Am Games men’s javelin throw bronze medallist missed the initial qualification list released earlier this week, he benefitted through the absence of other invited competitors in his field.
Per a missive from the IAAF, “we have the opportunity to open entries for one last short window in some events where we have yet to reach maximum target entry numbers. And, with one week to go before the start of the Championships, we want to open up that opportunity as it is important to us that we give every opportunity to our leading athletes to compete in our showcase Championships”.
In Lima, Peru, Reynolds reset the national record for the second time this year. The 31-year-old from Babonneau threw 82.19m at the August meet to become Saint Lucia’s first male medallist at the Pan Am Games in over a decade.
Reynolds, a disciple of Grenadian javelin throw coach Paul Philip, also won a North and Central American and Caribbean (NACAC) bronze medal in 2015. A product of Babonneau Secondary School, he is a former Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) champion and record holder in his pet discipline.
He is among a handful of Caribbean men to have passed the 80m mark.
Saint Lucia’s other representative in Doha will be Levern Spencer who will compete in women’s high jump. The IAAF previously confirmed that more than 1,900 athletes from 209 teams will be in action in the Qatari capital.
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM
- Prime Minister issues stirring call to action in Independence Address 2020 February 25, 2020 8:51 AM
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020 3:34 PM