Share This On:
Saint Lucia’s two-time Male Athlete of the Year, Albert Reynolds, has accepted an invitation to compete at the IAAF World Athletics Championships to be held in Doha, Qatar 2019.
The national record holder in men’s javelin throw, Reynolds was told of the invitation and accepted on Friday, September 20. The meet is scheduled for September 27 to October 6.
Although the 2019 Pan Am Games men’s javelin throw bronze medallist missed the initial qualification list released earlier this week, he benefitted through the absence of other invited competitors in his field.
Per a missive from the IAAF, “we have the opportunity to open entries for one last short window in some events where we have yet to reach maximum target entry numbers. And, with one week to go before the start of the Championships, we want to open up that opportunity as it is important to us that we give every opportunity to our leading athletes to compete in our showcase Championships”.
In Lima, Peru, Reynolds reset the national record for the second time this year. The 31-year-old from Babonneau threw 82.19m at the August meet to become Saint Lucia’s first male medallist at the Pan Am Games in over a decade.
Reynolds, a disciple of Grenadian javelin throw coach Paul Philip, also won a North and Central American and Caribbean (NACAC) bronze medal in 2015. A product of Babonneau Secondary School, he is a former Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) champion and record holder in his pet discipline.
He is among a handful of Caribbean men to have passed the 80m mark.
Saint Lucia’s other representative in Doha will be Levern Spencer who will compete in women’s high jump. The IAAF previously confirmed that more than 1,900 athletes from 209 teams will be in action in the Qatari capital.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM