Share This On:
(ABC NEWS) – A 13-year-old boy stabbed his teacher with an 8-inch butcher knife at his Georgia middle school on Monday, according to the principal.
The student was taken into custody after the incident in an eighth-grade language arts classroom at Trickum Middle School, Gwinnett County Public Schools spokeswoman Sloan Roach told ABC News.
The alleged assault began when the “student reportedly called the teacher over and then struck her in the chest area,” the school’s principal, Ryan Queen, said in a statement to parents.
The knife had been in the boy’s backpack, Queen said.
As a school resource officer headed to the classroom, the boy “grabbed another student,” said Queen.
The resource officer arrived and disarmed the boy, the principal said, and no students and no other staff members were hurt.
It “did not appear there was any issue between the student and the teacher previously,” Roach said.
The school district is not publicly releasing the name or the condition of the teacher, and the boy’s identity has also not been released, Roach said.
Student Mason Watler told ABC affiliate WSB in Atlanta he put his jacket on the bleeding teacher.
When the boy allegedly grabbed another student, Watler said he told his classmates, “Get out of the classroom. Go get a teacher.”
Classes are back in session Tuesday, but there will be additional counselors and police presence at the school, Queen said.
“We have never had a situation like this at our school and I know we all are concerned about this and the fact that one of our Trickum Middle family was hurt at the hands of a student is very upsetting,” the principal said. “I ask that you keep our teacher who was injured in your thoughts and prayers.”
More International News Stories
- Thai woman bitten by snake while sitting on toilet January 17, 2020
- Deaf man from Brooklyn sues Pornhub over lack of closed captioning January 17, 2020
- Missing Polish farmer believed to have been eaten by his own pigs January 17, 2020
- US woman charged with leaving 6 kids with dead man January 17, 2020
- Ukrainian prime minister submits resignation after tapes January 17, 2020
- JetBlue Airways is raising checked-bag fees again January 16, 2020