Share This On:
(SNO) – He touched everybody’s heart with his incredible act of forgiveness.
Now, Brandt Jean, the brother of slain Saint Lucian, Botham Jean will be receiving an award for his act that created headlines.
Next week, Jean, will be recognized by the Institute of Law Enforcement Administration and will be awarded the 2019 Ethical Courage Award.
“Brandt Jean represents the best in us. Despite an unimaginable loss, he saw the humanity in the person responsible for his brother’s death. He saw her pain and regret and had the ability to show empathy, caring, and forgiveness,” said Gregory Smith, the administration’s director.
Last September, 26-year-old Botham Jean was shot and killed in his apartment in Dallas by off duty officer Amber Guyger.
The incident caused shock waves across the US and Saint Lucia.
Guyger was sentenced to 10 years behind bars.
After sentencing, Brandt Jean asked the judge permission to hug her.
“If you truly are sorry, I know I can speak for myself, I forgive you. I know if you go to God and ask him, he will forgive you,” he told Guyger adding that his dead brother would support his move.
He also told Guyger, “I love you just like anyone else.”
The two then proceeded to hug each other tearfully for a long period of time.
The award will be presented on December 3 and Jean’s family will be traveling from Saint Lucia to attend.
“Each year, we present the Ethical Courage Award to recognize an individual or organization for outstanding ethics and integrity,” Smith said.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM