Family members of the two Vieux-Fort fishermen who perished at sea last month are wondering when the bodies of their loved ones will be sent to Saint Lucia for burial.
Speaking with St. Lucia News Online on Tuesday, April 3, 2018, family members say the date depends on the action of government who promised them assistance to return the bodies.
Jermain Edward, 33, and Mervin Gilbert, 42, left for sea on March I, 2018, and were found dead by the U.S. Coast Guard in their fishing vessel almost three weeks later, about 76 nautical miles off the coast off Puerto Rico.
According to one of the grieving family members, they should hopefully know soon when the bodies will return.
“Today we (family members) are supposed to meet the Cabinet Secretary to finalise everything..,” the family member told this reporter.
He said last week they had discussions on the matter with the relevant ministry and are hoping that all will go well today so their mind will be at ease.
According to the family member, some documents relating to the process have already signed, adding that the process is not as simple as in other cases because the Government of St. Lucia does not have an embassy in Puerto Rico.
He said part of the process is having the family or a representative of the family travelling to Puerto Rico to identify the bodies.
In the meantime family members are hoping the process will not be a long and drawn out one or one which will be costly to them.