Share This On:
(SNO) –Police said the lifeless body of British national and longtime Saint Lucia resident, Robert ‘Bob’ Hathaway, was discovered with “apparent wounds”, according to a press release on Tuesday.
The bloodied body of Hathaway was reportedly discovered in his residence in Piat, Grand Riviere, Gros Islet by a neighbour.
Officers from the Gros Islet Police Station responded “to a report of a suspicious death” at about 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, January 13, the release stated.
The release said the 66-year-old was pronounced dead on the scene by a medical practitioner.
A law enforcement source told St. Lucia News Online that Hathaway may have been stabbed and/or beaten to death, however a post-mortem will confirm the official cause of death,
The police release further stated that the post-mortem is scheduled for a “subsequent date” and that “the circumstances surrounding his death are currently under investigation”.
In 2001 Hathaway sailed to Saint Lucia and built a home, and founded a business — Marigot Sunshine Ltd. — several years later.
According to Hathaway’s Facebook account, he was divorced, studied engineering at University of Cambridge, and hailed originally from Codford Saint Peter, Wiltshire, United Kingdom.
Keats Compton, president of the Marine Industries Association of Saint Lucia and a close friend of Hathaway, called his death “horrific”, according to a Press Association (PA) news agency report.
“Apart from anything else, Bob was a pal of mine. He was on the executive committee of the (Marine Industries) Association and he was an integral part of it. I’m also concerned because the yachting fraternity is very close-knit, and the fact that this kind of thing can happen – if it’s not reported properly it can do the industry quite a lot of damage,” the PA quoted Compton as saying.
Hathaway’s death is Saint Lucia’s first homicide for 2019.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM