Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) – A 15-year-old student randomly opened fire at his Kentucky high school with a handgun right before classes started Tuesday morning, killing two classmates and wounding 19 others, officials said.
The suspect — whom police caught at Marshall County High School — is expected to be charged with murder in the deaths of a teen girl and boy, as well as attempted murder, said state police spokesman Michael Webb.
Five of the 19 students struck suffered non-gunshot-related injuries, authorities said.
“This is a wound that is going to take the community a long time to heal, and for some, they will never heal,” Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin said at a press conference about the shooting.
The rural school has an enrollment of 1,146 students in grades 10 through 12, and hundreds could be running for their lives as the shooting unfolded.
“I blacked out. I couldn’t move. I got up and I tried to run, but I fell. I heard someone hit the ground. It was so close to me,” 16-year-old Lexie Waymon said. “I just heard it and then I just, everything was black for a good minute. Like, I could not see anything. I just froze and did not know what to do. Then I got up and I ran.”
Waymon, who had been chatting about makeup and the next basketball game moments before the attack, didn’t stop running until she reached a McDonalds over a mile away.
Mitchell Garland, who provided shelter to between 50 and 100 students inside his nearby business, said he saw kids running down the highway to escape.
“They was running and crying and screaming,” he said.
School buses transported students to other schools while helicopters flew some of the injured to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee.
In Washington, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he was keeping up with reports of the shooting.
“Our hearts are with the entire community of Marshall County,” he said.