Share This On:
(CMC) – Bermudian striker Nahki Wells fired home his second goal of the season while Jamaican Jamille Matt was also on target with his 10th of the campaign for League Two side Newport County here Saturday.
Playing at Loftus Road, Wells’s strike helped Championship club Queens Park Rangers edge Brentford 3-2 in the London derby.
The 28-year-old, on loan from Premier League side Burnley, netted in the 60th minute as QPR rattled in three goals in a 10-minute spell after the break. However, they were forced to withstand late pressure from their local rivals to secure all three points.
Brentford had gone to the break with a 1-0 lead thanks to Neal Maupay, who nodded in his 12th goal of the season. But Maupay was carried off on a stretcher with a head injury just before the break.
QPR then turned it around to storm to their fourth win in five games and solidify their place in the top half of the table following a disastrous start to the season which saw them lose their opening four matches.
Massimo Luongo equalised five minutes after half-time, Joel Lynch put them ahead in the 58th before Wells seized his opportunity minutes later, sliding in an easy finish after his earlier shot had been parried.
Meanwhile, 29-year-old Matt extended his excellent scoring form to ensure Newport County saw off seventh-tier outfit Metropolitan Police 2-0 in the first round of the FA Cup at Imber Court.
In wet, windy conditions in the southeast, Matt netted his side’s second goal in the 48th minute after Tyreeq Bakinson had forced a save out of Luke Williams, and he put home the rebound.
Padraig Amond had given Newport the lead in first half stoppage.
More Sports Stories
- St Lucia Tennis Association to host first annual awards ceremony January 15, 2020
- 10th World ARC sets sail from Saint Lucia January 13, 2020
- Lewis hits undefeated 99 as Windies defeat Ireland January 8, 2020
- Evin Lewis hits undefeated 99 as West Indies defeat Ireland January 7, 2020
- West Indies look to start 2020 on winning note against Ireland January 6, 2020
- Shai Hope looks to maintain form against Ireland January 6, 2020