Share This On:
(CMC) – Bermudian striker Jonté Smith scored his 11th goal of the season as Lewes routed lowly Brightlingsea Regent 5-0 to go top of the Bostik League Premier Division at the Dripping Pan on Wednesday night.
Smith, 24, headed in the home side’s fifth goal from close range on the stroke of half-time as Lewes ran their opponents ragged in the opening 45 minutes.
“It was a great win, we performed really well,” Smith said. “It was a very good team performance.”
Lewes’ win put them top on goal difference over Dorking Wanderers.
“We knew that a good result might take us to the top of the table, and thankfully we performed on the day,” added Smith, whose father Clay formerly coached the Bermuda national cricket team.
“It’s been a good season so far for us but we know the hard work is not done. We need to keep our form going, and hopefully we can keep pushing for promotion this year.”
Lewes are home to Margate on Saturday.
More Sports Stories
- Afghanistan Cricket Board XI draw with West Indies – 3rd day November 22, 2019
- Brathwaite, Hetmyer get starts but Windies struggle vs Afghans November 21, 2019
- Jorja Mederick qualifies for U16 Masters Final November 20, 2019
- Much work to be done ahead of World Cup, says Windies coach November 20, 2019
- Saint Lucia misses Gold Cup playoffs after falling to Montserrat November 20, 2019
- A decade of support for CFC youth football November 18, 2019
- ARC 2019 officially opens with lively national flag parade November 18, 2019