BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Feb 20, CMC – The Child Care Board has described as “unfortunate” the decision of a parent to handcuff a two and a half year old child to a pillar and later denied that the child was being abused after a video of the incident went viral on social media.
Acting Director of the Board, Denise Nurse, said while initial investigations had suggested the child was in no danger, the incident had been reported to the police and that the parents had been counselled and warned against such behaviour in the future.
She said that it appeared the child was engaged in play with his father and that the parents, had, on their own, accompanied by the child, visited the Child Care Board after the video went viral.
She said they had also gone to the police to explain the circumstances of the video.
The Child Care Board Director said while the child appeared “well loved” and the parents extremely upset and remorseful. They also brought in other videos which showed a close relationship between the child and his father.