Bajans warned against drinking disinfectant, Disiclin, and white rum

By Barbados Today

 Share This On:

(BARBADOS TODAY) – A medical professional here is warning a group of men seen in a video on social media drinking what they claimed to be a mixture of the disinfectant, Disiclin, and white rum, are playing with their lives, if the video is not a prank.

The minute-long video, which appeared on a popular Instagram page earlier this week, showed the men liming and drinking, with the person doing the recording stating: “This is what gine on here, the men drinking Erskine Sandiford [white rum] and friends.”

One of the men in the frame said before drinking the substance: “We ain’t working with no [expletive] Fabuloso [a disinfectant], we got [explicit] Disiclin . . . . Disiclin and we going global. You got turbo, well Disiclin is what drinking now. If I die I love my children, I love my mother and I love my father.”

The video has prompted a word of caution from Dr Colin Alert, who told Barbados TODAY that if true, such a cocktail could be deadly.

“The toxic nature of Disiclin which is a disinfecting chemical – clearly marked on each bottle – added to alcohol, a drug that has many known psychoactive and physical effects, creates a cocktail that at worst, is lethal, and can cause permanent physical and psychological effects on those who survive,” Dr Alert said.

Stating he had not heard of that combination before, the doctor presumed “the individuals use it to get a faster, higher, or more prolonged sense of euphoria”, adding that the men were engaging in a dangerous practice and were treading on very thin ice.

“The active agents include quaternary ammonium compounds, which are toxic if swallowed, inhaled, or come in contact with the eyes or skin. The bottle is labelled as such, as is required in the USA. Other potentially toxic ingredients include ethoxyl alcohol and cinnamaldehyde,” he said.

“If consumed in [large] quantities it can corrode the mouth, oesophagus, stomach, and can cause further damage to the liver and kidney,” the physician explained.

“The toxic nature of Disiclin which is a disinfecting chemical – clearly marked on each bottle – added to alcohol, a drug that has many known psychoactive and physical effects, creates a cocktail that at worst, is lethal, and can cause permanent physical and psychological effects on those who survive,” Dr Alert said.

Stating he had not heard of that combination before, the doctor presumed “the individuals use it to get a faster, higher, or more prolonged sense of euphoria”, adding that the men were engaging in a dangerous practice and were treading on very thin ice.

“The active agents include quaternary ammonium compounds, which are toxic if swallowed, inhaled, or come in contact with the eyes or skin. The bottle is labelled as such, as is required in the USA. Other potentially toxic ingredients include ethoxyl alcohol and cinnamaldehyde,” he said.

“If consumed in [large] quantities it can corrode the mouth, oesophagus, stomach, and can cause further damage to the liver and kidney,” the physician explained.

(1)(1)
This article was posted in its entirety as received by stlucianewsonline.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.