Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The Government of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas is aware of a number of false reports circulating on social media about the mistreatment of non-Bahamians in the wake of Hurricane Dorian that affected the islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama.
In particular, there is a video of purported violence by Bahamians against Haitians. It is a false accusation that this incident took place in The Bahamas.
All residents evacuated from the affected islands requiring housing are in safe and secure shelters provided by the Government of The Bahamas. The evacuees are provided with three meals per day, medical care, school placement for children and social assistance.
The Government would like to reiterate that all residents of Abaco and Grand Bahama affected by Hurricane Dorian have access to social assistance, regardless of country of birth, nationality or immigration status. A number of private charitable organizations are also rendering assistance.
The aforementioned is in keeping with policies of the Government of The Bahamas, and is in accordance with the laws of The Bahamas and international humanitarian norms.
All repatriation exercises for individuals in and from the affected areas have been suspended.
The Government continues to advise Bahamians and the international community to seek trusted and credible sources of information.
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM
- Prime Minister issues stirring call to action in Independence Address 2020 February 25, 2020 8:51 AM
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020 3:34 PM