Share This On:
GIS – The Government of Saint Lucia has commenced consultation on the Castries-Gros Islet Highway Improvement Soft Solution Project.
The first leg of the consultation was held on April 7, at the Ministry of Infrastructure, Port Services and Labour, with the main objective of developing a soft solution to bring immediate relief to the traffic congestion currently experienced on the Castries-Gros Islet Highway.
Chief Engineer in the Ministry of Infrastructure, Albert Jn. Baptiste, said congestion relief on the Castries-Gros Islet Highway is a key priority in the ministry’s transport strategy for the 2017 fiscal year.
“Further to our policy directive, the Ministry of Infrastructure has moved to prepare an important strategy for the Castries-Gros Islet highway involving soft measures. To take this imitative forward, the department, recognizing the wealth of knowledge and expertise which exists in both the public and private sector, seeks to engage key stakeholders in formulating proactive dialogue, a plan to bring about immediate relief to road users.”
Facilitators for the consultation were drawn from several sectors namely construction and engineering, transport and hospitality, sales and management, the public sector, safety and law enforcement, and civil society.
“We invite all parties to work together to formulate a soft solution strategy in a concrete and practical way,” he said. “Our primary objective for the day is to identify traffic hotspots which can be targeted immediately with soft solutions to reduce congestions.”
These soft solutions, according to the Chief Engineer, are expected to be low cost, minimally disruptive and easy to implement.
- Prime Minister takes aim at US, UK financial regulations February 21, 2020 1:42 PM
- Family of Benignus Henry issue a plea for support February 21, 2020 12:30 PM
- PM Chastanet welcomes positive comments on CIP’s impact on economic performance of St Lucia and OECS February 21, 2020 9:22 AM
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM