Share This On:
(SNO) – Orsula Hypolite of Au Tabor, Anse La Raye, who lost everything in a fire on November 7, has received donations from the government as she struggles to get her life back on track.
Earlier this week Hypolite received a $10,000 check and hampers compliment the Government of St. Lucia and the Anse La Raye Village Council.
Parliamentary Representative for Anse la Raye/Canaries, Dominic Fedee said on November 7, whilst representing Saint Lucia at the 2019 World Travel Market in London, he received a distressing video via WhatsApp which showed a house being gutted by fire in the community of Anse la Raye.
“It was such a horrific shock for me that I fell out of the chair at the meeting because I couldn’t believe this had happened to someone I know so well and so close,” he said at a ceremony during which the items were presented to Hypolite.
He said that the government stands with the Anse La Raye Village Council to build a bigger and better home for Hypolite.
Fedee said the check was the first of many contributions that will be coming her way.
Hypolite was filled with emotion when thanking those present for the donation.
“Thank God, thank you Lord,” she said, her voice breaking. “And on behalf of my family and friends, I thank all of you
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Allen Chastanet, who attended the ceremony, assured Saint Lucian who may find themselves in similar situations, that the government is there to help.
“I think that my government also recognizes that we have to be able to put a better system in place to be able to help people,” he remarked.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM