Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The Saint Lucia Alzheimer’s Association is aimed at providing Brain Health education, empowerment & support to families, communities and the health workforce who live and care for persons with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
Angels of the West Indies, a partnering entity, was created in 2013 and has worked tirelessly to spread advocacy about this incurable disease by providing and training caregivers, hosting Memory Care workshops and supporting the general public through a weekly informative column in the Voice newspaper entitled “If I Can Only Remember”.
Through Angels of the West Indies, families continue to support the cause. As of May 2016, Saint Lucia Alzheimer’s Association is now a registered organization and will be the driving force to bring Brain Health to the public.
Internationally, the month of September is recognized as World Alzheimer’s Month. As a result, a formal launching of the Saint Lucia Alzheimer’s Association will take place on September 1st, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. at the Training Room of the Saint Lucia Hotel and Tourism Association( SLHTA) in Rodney Heights, Gros Islet.
The purpose of this launching is to introduce persons to the organization and to outline its goals and objectives. It will also be an opportunity to allow those suffering from or affected by Alzheimer’s, an opportunity to voice their experiences. Also, in acknowledgement of World Alzheimer’s Day on September 21st, the association will be hosting a Memory Café Fundraiser for persons living with dementia. It is a social activity where those affected are able to experience fun and games in a dementia friendly environment.
People who are suffering from or affected by Alzheimer’s disease or any other related dementia are invited to the launching and the Memory Café. Both activities are aimed at spreading awareness of dementia and will be ideal for interested persons to come together to help fight this incurable disease.
More Health Stories
- Funding for OECS Regional Health Project December 4, 2019
- Legislation governing employment at new hospital discussed December 4, 2019
- Update on reopening and closure of wellness centres December 3, 2019
- World AIDS Day community outreach activities December 3, 2019
- Message from the President of NCPD December 3, 2019
- Consultancy for the Owen King EU Hospital December 2, 2019
- World AIDS Day community outreach activities November 29, 2019
- Eating banana skin can help with ‘better sleep and weight loss’ November 28, 2019