Share This On:
A number of health practitioners seeking to renew their annual practicing licenses with the Allied Health Council (AHC) of Saint Lucia attended a two-day seminar at the National Mental Wellness Center.
The seminar seeks to facilitate mandatory continuing education professional development courses, that are necessary to obtain “credits,” which are needed when applying for a license renewal.
Dr. Urban Seraphin, chairman of the AHC, told Saint Lucia News Online (SNO) that many registrants find it difficult to secure credits due to lack of funds, unavailability of continuation and professional development courses or not being able to travel to them.
Social and mental health workers, drug rehabilitation personnel, youth leaders, psychologists and other interested persons are among those attending the workshop.
Topics deliberated at the seminar include “Understanding the Rise in Suicide” and “Dealing with Trauma.”
The topic “Stress and Distress,” which Seraphin presented remarks on, sought to highlight the need to identify sources of stress and ways to deal with it.
“We are saying that if you are stressed out as a professional how can you deal with your patients and so we have given them the mechanism on how you can overcome stress,” he said.
The AHC is a statutory body established as a result of the Health Professionals Act 2006 to regulate allied health professionals wishing to practice on the island.
Among its key purposes is to grant one-year licenses to these professionals “to ensure the protection of the public.”
This week’s workshop began on March 19 and will conclude today, March 20, 2014.
More Health Stories
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020
- Coronavirus update from Ministry of Health February 24, 2020
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020
- Birth of triplets at Victoria Hospital February 20, 2020
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020
- Saint Lucia continues to strengthen vigilance February 18, 2020
- Coronavirus update: Quarantined nationals released February 18, 2020
- Faces of cancer observes Cancer Prevention Month February 18, 2020