Share This On:
Saint Lucian Julienne Alfred, representing St. Catherine High School on an athletic scholarship, mined her second bronze medal in record-breaking form at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys’ and Girls’ Athletics Championship in Kingston, Jamaica.
Alfred demolished Saint Lucia’s junior record for under-20 girls on Saturday night, running 23.74 seconds for third place in the Class 2 girls 200m final.
Jamaican Kevona Davis, who previously won the 100m in a record 11.16, clocked a scintillating 22.72 seconds to set a new meet record in winning the event ahead of Alfred and Kavia Francis of Manchester High, who took silver in 23.58, with a wind of 0.8 m/s. Davis also lowered the meet record in the semis on Thursday with 22.92.
Saint Lucia’s top track and field journalist Terry Finisterre, writing on Twitter, said Alfred’s bronze medals will surely be a confidence booster for the March 30-April 2, 2018 Carifta Games in The Bahamas, where she will represent Saint Lucia.
“After finishing without a medal in 2017, Julien ought to be pleased with her double bronze outing. She should feel pretty good going into the Flow CARIFTA Games next weekend,” Finisterre said.
Alfred, the 2017 100m Commonwealth Youth Games champion, finished third in the 100m Class 2 girls final on Friday in 11.64 behind Davis (11.16) and Hydel’s Ray-donna Lee (11.58).
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM
- Botham Jean’s brother receives police award December 3, 2019 1:45 PM