Share This On:
(SNO) — Saint Lucians are being encouraged to come out this Friday, September and show support to the family of Botham Shem Jean, the budding St. Lucian accountant, who was shot to death by a female police officer in Dallas, Texas on September 6, 2018.
A local group called ‘Justice for Botham’ is spearheading the organisation of a “massive homecoming” celebration for Jean’s relatives when they arrive at the Hewanorra International Airport in Vieux Fort on Friday, September 21, 2018 on an American Airlines flight, which is scheduled to land shortly after 2 p.m.
Botham’s mother Allison Jean, his father Bertram Jean, and brother Brandt Jean are expected to be on that flight.
According to the organisers, the celebration is being supported by the Saint Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) and the ministries of education and foreign affairs.
Botham’s body is expected to arrive in Saint Lucia on Wednesday, Sept. 19 and burial is reportedly scheduled for Monday, Sept. 24.
Botham’s killing has garnered nationwide attention in the US, and worldwide. It has also sparked several protest marches in Dallas where he was killed in his own apartment.
The police officer, Amber Guyger, who claimed she went to the wrong apartment and shot Botham because she thought he was a burglar, is not behind bars. She was released on $300,000 bond shortly after being charged for manslaughter.
Botham’s relatives and their lawyers have been calling on the Dallas police to fire Guyger and place her behind bars for murder. The police department there have also been accused of trying to smear the Saint Lucian’s name by claiming in legal documents that a quantity of marijuana was found in his apartment following the shooting.
To date, Guyger’s apartment has not been searched by the police and she has since vacated the premises.
Below is an audio interview with Chantal J. Antoine of Justice for Botham as well as a notice from the organisers regarding the event.
Please join us for the HOMECOMING for the family of the late Botham Shem Jean.
ARRIVAL: Friday, September 21st, 2018 at 2:20 p.m., Hewanorra International Airport
ROUTE: Main east coast road, the Morne Road, Jeremie Street , John Compton Highway, and turn into La Clery at the Vigie roundabout.
ACTION: Schools and community members along the east coast, from Vieux-Fort to Castries, to align the roadway to pay tribute to Botham and for us as a nation to continue to rally around the Jean family and stand in solidarity in such a difficult time.
Please wear your St. Lucian colours, flags, bandanna, placards. JUSTICE FOR BOTHAM.
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM
- Canelles Resort Project begins January 17, 2020 2:52 PM
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM