Share This On:
(SNO) – A video has surfaced of a violent situation that erupted between players in the final football match between Saint Lucia and Grenada on the morning of Sunday, July 29, 2018 during the Windward Islands Schools’ Games (WISG).
The fight broke out in the 80th minute after Saint Lucia was awarded a free kick.
Referee Andrew Philip reportedly handed out five red cards as a result, with Saint Lucia losing three players, and Grenada losing two.
The match was reportedly abandoned with three minutes left into injury time with Grenada 2-1 up.
In a Facebook post, renowned Grenadian sports journalist, Michael Bascombe commented on the incident: “The logical question asked and also in a brief chat with former President of the Grenada Football Association, Ashley ‘Ram’ Folkes, is what action/sanction/punishment would be appropriate for the perpetrators? As he puts it…most of the players may not be in that competition again and banning them would be an exercise in futility as well as denying them school time would be counter productive. An intelligent discussion!”
The Games ended on Sunday in Vieux Fort, Saint Lucia with Grenada capturing the overall championships after being victorious in athletics, basketball and football.
The hosts ended joint second with St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 5:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM