Share This On:
(SNO) – A man who is accused of stabbing a woman in the city last weekend has been charged, according to law enforcement sources.
Mervin Edmund, also known as ‘Shabba’, was charged with grievous bodily harm, in which he is alleged to have stabbed a woman in her eye with a knife on Coral Street in Castries, around 5:30 p.m., last Friday, May 25.
Edmund was arrested by City Police officers and taken into custody.
The woman was taken to hospital but her condition was not immediately known.
A video of the aftermath of the stabbing has been circulating on social media.
In the video, the victim sits on the sidewalk while holding what appears to be a handkerchief over her injured left eye. A man in handcuffs is sitting nearby, surrounded by City Police officers.
A man is overheard questioning the accused: “Mervin, Mervin, Shabba… that is what you do the woman? You really dirty eh garcon…. Mervin that’s what you doing the woman? You too dirty garcon!”
Someone in the video is also heard accusing Mervin of being drunk, with another person disagreeing.
The accused is eventually placed in the back of a pickup van by the city cops, shortly after the woman was taken to an ambulance.
National Security Minister Hermangild Francis, speaking at a press briefing on Monday, May 28, 2018, praised the City Police for doing a “wonderful job” in apprehending the suspect and handling the incident.
However, Francis pointed out that the police cannot be expected to be everywhere at all times.
The minister also emphasised that people should learn to settle their disputes and issues in a more “amicable way” instead of resorting to violence, particularly with knives and cutlasses.
- Teenagers arrested for Dennery man’s murder October 23, 2019 12:10 PM
- Saint Lucia’s Meggan William ekes out singles victory for the Golden Eagles October 23, 2019 10:43 AM
- UK: 39 bodies found inside lorry container in Essex October 23, 2019 10:15 AM
- Gunmen raping males only on the loose in Montego Bay, Jamaica October 23, 2019 10:06 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Tarik Xavier led his US college men’s team in cross country October 23, 2019 9:54 AM
- SLP still wants to know: ‘Who is really paying for the horses?’ October 22, 2019 6:06 PM
- Donavan Phillip scores all goals in CCSS 7-1 win over Corinth October 22, 2019 9:49 AM
- Canada election: Justin Trudeau set to remain in power – but with minority government October 22, 2019 9:19 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Antoine Destang breaks 13-year-old swim record in Canada October 22, 2019 8:56 AM