Share This On:
(SNO) – Former Opposition Leader and Education Minister with the United Workers Party (UWP) Arsene James has died.
He was 73.
James reportedly passed away at a hospital in Martinique around 3 a.m. on Sunday, July 29 after a prolonged illness.
The UWP paid tribute to James in a Facebook post: “We regret the loss of Hon Arsene James who has departed from this life. Mr. James distinguished himself as a statesman of extraordinary ilk. His life epitomized “service” – as a community leader, teacher, principal, Parliamentarian and Government Minister. Let us pray for his family and friends, that God will comfort them during this difficult time. May his soul rest in peace.”
James represented the Micoud South constituency for the UWP and became Opposition Leader when UWP leader Morella Joseph did not win her seat, in the December 2001 elections.
He served as the Minister for Education and Culture under the government of Prime Minister John Compton from 2006 to 2011.
James decided not to contest the 2016 General Elections and his Micoud South seat was eventually represented by party leader Allen Chastanet who went on to be victorious and become the prime minister.
St. Lucia News Online sends sincere condolences to the family and friends of Arsene James
- BREAKING NEWS: Saint Lucia gov’t denies buying horses or funding racetrack October 21, 2019 2:38 PM
- Three injured in Bexon accident October 21, 2019 2:10 PM
- Senior citizen stabbed multiple times in Bocage October 21, 2019 1:14 PM
- UPDATE: Two dead following Castries accident October 21, 2019 12:32 PM
- UPDATE: Fatal accident in Castries October 21, 2019 12:02 PM
- Entrepot Secondary students sent home early due to “inadequate supervision” October 21, 2019 12:00 PM
- Soca artiste launches ‘Born Lucian’ clothing brand October 21, 2019 11:01 AM
- Gas, diesel prices increased; cylinder prices decreased October 21, 2019 10:36 AM
- RC Infant school to now remain closed until Tuesday, Oct 22 October 21, 2019 10:21 AM