Share This On:
(CBS) — The ticket to the largest Mega Millions jackpot in New York State Lottery history was claimed Tuesday, CBS New York reports, as representatives for a group of lucky co-workers helped them claim victory on Long Island.
The eighth-largest Mega Millions jackpot in history now belongs to a group of 23 co-workers who came forward anonymously in January to form an LLC named, appropriately, “New Life 2019.”
Lottery officials say the group chose a single lump-sum payment which, after taxes, comes to a whopping $176 million. Each winner will take home nearly $7.7 million.
“I was so shocked, surprised, and at the same time excited,” Brookville Auto Serviceworker Niz Aydogan said.
Aydogan believes he sold the ticket to a store regular he describes as a friendly middle-aged woman who comes in every Sunday.
“I hope they come back here and tip me,” he joked.
Representatives for the group said they each put in a dollar weekly to purchase tickets until the New Year’s Day drawing that finally had luck on their side.
Officials said the employees will still continue to work, but they’re still in disbelief and have some big plans for new homes, college funds for their kids and vacations with their families.
Prior to the win, the biggest jackpot in New York State Lottery history was a $326 million Mega Millions won by a retired elementary school principal in Wurtsboro in 2014.
The owner of Brookville Auto Service will also receive a $10,000 prize for selling the ticket.
More International News Stories
- Mexico declares first case of coronavirus February 28, 2020
- Virus to cost world tourism at least $22 bn — WTTC February 28, 2020
- Belgian wine alert after woman dies from sip of MDMA drug February 28, 2020
- E. coli gut infection linked to bowel cancer February 27, 2020
- Facebook bans ads with false claims about coronavirus February 27, 2020
- Coronavirus patient in Brazil marks Latin America’s first case February 26, 2020
- Trump says coronavirus ‘under control’ in US, problem going to ‘go away’ February 25, 2020
- More virus deaths outside China raise pandemic fears February 25, 2020