Share This On:
(SNO) – Despite not having dropped a set going into the championship match, Saint Lucia were upset by Antigua and Barbuda on Sunday night in Oranjestad, Sint Eustatius, in the final of the 2018 Eastern Caribbean Volleyball Association (ECVA) Under-20 Zonal Women’s Championship.
Playing at the Earl Merkman Sports Hall, Antigua and Barbuda scratched and clawed their way to the title, following a knockdown, drag out, epic 150-minute battle with their arch rivals.
The score ended 3-2 (13-25, 25-16, 25-14, 22- 25, 15-13) in favour of Antigua and Barbuda.
Both teams traded sets, and chants in hopes of gaining an advantage in the battle. However, Antigua and Barbuda had the edge as Captain Joseanne Lewis – the tournament’s best outside hitter and Most Valuable Player – hammered home 25 points to help secure the title.
Tenayestlgni Joseph’s attacking skills were insufficient to earn Saint Lucia the gold medal, as she scored 13 of their total points. Though other teammates tried to help, it was obvious Saint Lucia needed more firepower to put Antigua and Barbuda away.
Saint Lucia ended the tournament with the Best Opposite Attack, Tia Marquis, as well as the Best Digger, Tenayestlgni Joseph, and the Best Setter, Nasha Akyera Fredericks.
Team Saint Lucia was coached by Joseph Clercent and managed by Emmy Vitalis.
- WHO calls on young people to join tobacco-free generation fight
- Choc Housing Development underway
- St. Lucia public officers called on to volunteer as trainers and facilitators
- Saint Lucia commemorates first Inter-American Day Against Terrorism
- BREAKING NEWS: Saint Lucia records 19th COVID-19 case
- UWP says Philip J Pierre proves once again he is not fit for leadership
- 92 depart Saint Lucia for employment in Canada’s Farm Worker Programme
- Saint Lucian authorities enforcing strict health protocols in schools
- Vieux Fort couple caught with firearm and ammunition