Share This On:
(SNO) – Despite not having dropped a set going into the championship match, Saint Lucia were upset by Antigua and Barbuda on Sunday night in Oranjestad, Sint Eustatius, in the final of the 2018 Eastern Caribbean Volleyball Association (ECVA) Under-20 Zonal Women’s Championship.
Playing at the Earl Merkman Sports Hall, Antigua and Barbuda scratched and clawed their way to the title, following a knockdown, drag out, epic 150-minute battle with their arch rivals.
The score ended 3-2 (13-25, 25-16, 25-14, 22- 25, 15-13) in favour of Antigua and Barbuda.
Both teams traded sets, and chants in hopes of gaining an advantage in the battle. However, Antigua and Barbuda had the edge as Captain Joseanne Lewis – the tournament’s best outside hitter and Most Valuable Player – hammered home 25 points to help secure the title.
Tenayestlgni Joseph’s attacking skills were insufficient to earn Saint Lucia the gold medal, as she scored 13 of their total points. Though other teammates tried to help, it was obvious Saint Lucia needed more firepower to put Antigua and Barbuda away.
Saint Lucia ended the tournament with the Best Opposite Attack, Tia Marquis, as well as the Best Digger, Tenayestlgni Joseph, and the Best Setter, Nasha Akyera Fredericks.
Team Saint Lucia was coached by Joseph Clercent and managed by Emmy Vitalis.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM