Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) – A sports-mad Portuguese boy is believed to be Europe’s youngest coronavirus victim after his death at just 14 years old, according to reports.
Vitor Godinho died early Sunday after being raced to Sao Sebastiao Hospital the previous day and testing positive for COVID-19, according to a local sports newspaper, Record.
The keen soccer player suffered from psoriasis, a skin disorder that can affect the immune system, but was otherwise healthy with no underlying health conditions, the Mirror said.
Vitor’s death would make him the youngest known victim of the coronavirus pandemic in Europe. A 16-year-old French schoolgirl known only as Julie A. had previously been the youngest after her death near Paris.
Fernando Gomes, president of the Portuguese Football Federation, announced “with profound consternation” the death of the young teen, who he said had “precocious talent,” according to the reports.
Vitor mostly played futsal, an indoor soccer game.
“This time you didn’t get past the rival, like you did so many times,” his team at the Maceda Cultural and Recreation Center said, according to the reports. “We’re devastated, lost for words. Rest in peace champion!”
- India: Woman gives birth, then walks 160km with her newborn baby
- New York pastor says his parish lost 44 people to coronavirus
- Afghanistan: ‘Sheer evil’ maternity ward attack death toll rises to 24
- Venezuelan opposition advisers resign after failed operation to oust Nicolas Maduro
- ‘Oldest woman in Spain’ beats COVID-19 at age 113
- UK rail worker dies with COVID-19 after being spat at
- Babies killed as gunmen storm maternity ward in Afghanistan
- IRS wants relief cheques sent to the dead taxpayers returned
- Father, son charged with killing black man Ahmaud Arbery