14-year-old Portuguese boy becomes Europe’s youngest coronavirus victim

By New York Post

 Share This On:

Advertisement

(NEW YORK POST) – A sports-mad Portuguese boy is believed to be Europe’s youngest coronavirus victim after his death at just 14 years old, according to reports.

Vitor Godinho died early Sunday after being raced to Sao Sebastiao Hospital the previous day and testing positive for COVID-19, according to a local sports newspaper, Record.

The keen soccer player suffered from psoriasis, a skin disorder that can affect the immune system, but was otherwise healthy with no underlying health conditions, the Mirror said.

Vitor’s death would make him the youngest known victim of the coronavirus pandemic in Europe. A 16-year-old French schoolgirl known only as Julie A. had previously been the youngest after her death near Paris.

Fernando Gomes, president of the Portuguese Football Federation, announced “with profound consternation” the death of the young teen, who he said had “precocious talent,” according to the reports.

Vitor mostly played futsal, an indoor soccer game.

“This time you didn’t get past the rival, like you did so many times,” his team at the Maceda Cultural and Recreation Center said, according to the reports. “We’re devastated, lost for words. Rest in peace champion!”

(0)(0)

St. Lucia News Online firmly discourages any commentary or statements that are libelous, disruptive in nature or incites others to violate our Terms of Use. Any submissions made on our comment section, are solely the views of the individual and not from St. Lucia News Online.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This article was posted in its entirety as received by stlucianewsonline.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.