BOSL

Who owns St. Lucia News Online?

SNO

Merrick Andrews

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about St. Lucia News Online (Part 1)

Who owns and operates St. Lucia News Online (SNO)?

SNO IS A BUSINESS operated by Andrews Media Services Corp., a company incorporated and registered in Saint Lucia.

The owner is Merrick Andrews, who is the managing director, sales director and chief editor. Andrews is a Jamaican national living in Saint Lucia since late 2011.

He has been a journalist for the past 14 years with experience in print (newspapers and magazines), broadcast (TV and radio), and Internet journalism.

He is a recipient of a Press Association of Jamaica journalism awards (best human interest feature in 2001) and he was the coordinator of Youth Link magazine when it won the best youth publication.

His journalism career was kick-started during high school where he started a newspaper called The Eagle and was appointed editor of the school’s year magazine in 1999. He began freelancing for a community newspaper called The Twin City Sun in his last term in high school.

He is a former sports reporter, lifestyle reporter and Youth Link coordinator at The Gleaner newspaper company in Jamaica, and a former Associated Press (AP) news stringer/correspondent in Jamaica and Montserrat.

Andrews is the founder and former owner of BVI News Online, www.bvinews.com for the British Virgin Islands and Dominica News Online, www.dominicanewsonline.com for the Commonwealth of Dominica.

BVI News was founded in 2006 and sold in April 2013. Dominica News Online was founded in 2007 and sold in 2011. Andrews is now on St Lucia News Online, his third project.

Work experience

Reporter/sales rep – Twin City Sun (community) weekly newspaper: 1998-1999
Freelance writer – X-News weekly tabloid and entertainment newspaper: 1998-2000
Sports reporter – SportsGlobe (national) sports newspaper: 1999
Sports reporter/lifestyle reporter/Youth Link magazine coordinator – The Gleaner (national) daily newspaper: 1999-2002
Stringer/correspondent (Jamaica & Montserrat) — The Associated Press: 2000-2002
Reporter – The Montserrat Reporter weekly newspaper, Montserrat: 2002
Sports Coordinator/news reporter – The BVI StandPoint weekly newspaper, Tortola, BVI : 2003-2005
News reporter/director – ZKING Radio: 2005-2006
News reporter/director – ZROD and ZCCR radio stations: 2006-2008
News anchor – CBN TV and JTV (2006-2008)
Managing director/founder – Andrews Media Corp: 2006-2013
Managing Director/founder – BVI News Online/Alliance News Ltd: 2006-2013
Managing Director/founder – Dominica News Online/Andrews Publishing Co. Ltd: 2007-2011
Managing Director/founder – St. Lucia News Online/Andrews Media Services Corp: 2012-present

Academics

Linstead All-Age School, Linstead, St. Catherine, Jamaica – 1989-1994

Charlemont High School, St. Catherine, Jamaica – 1994-1999
– High School Diploma
– Academic Exellence Awards in Caribbean History etc
– Recipient of the Leicester Smart Foundation Scholarship (1994-1999)

CARIMAC, University of the West Indies, Mona (Summer Programme)
– Certificate of Merit, Basic Print Journalism, 2001

Note: My freelance work have also been published in the New York Post, Southampton Press, Trinidad Express, IPI Global Journalist international magazine, and several other Jamaican, regional and international publications. I was also a correspondent for Caribbean News Service and former coordinator of the UNESCO-funded Caribbean Media Network. I was also the founding editor of the BVI government’s youth magazine.

Track and field is my favourite sport. In my spare time, I exercise, work out, travel, watch movies and socialize online.

I am 30, single and have two children.

Later on, I will answer some more intimate details of my business in Saint Lucia, responses to my business here, and how we intend to move forward.

DOM
GLO

37 thoughts on “Who owns St. Lucia News Online?

1. Courage

Yea man,great job merrick...Don't know why The media houses could not have come up with an idea like yours to give late breaking news as it happens."Son of Helen" is inlove with this site like a teenage girl inlove with FB.lol Again great job.

2. KRS

Now I can see SLU has done Mr. Andrews good. He has put on a few lbs. Likes you were dying in the BVI

• Merrick Post author

Started putting on pounds since in Dominica. Yes, in the BVI I was under immense stress which paid off.

3. myra

Because of my busy schedule i can hardly be on time for the televised news. The newspaper is outdated by the time it is printed. This is the perfect source of news for me. We are all caribbean people and you are welcome to our country St. Lucia. Thanks for this great innovation. Was just wondering, how do you get paid though?

4. drizzy

"wake up" i have a job so i don't have time nor the energy nor do i want to give lucians news because like it or not all lucians are politcally biased

5. drizzy

jah know i didn't read wut the other post said smh, i posted it as drake thought "merrick' didn't approve it so i then tried to remember what i said and posted it as drizzy ok? And its not too often that "cute" and "educated" fall in the same person, cept for me of course n i'm taken lolol, regardless good job merrick!!!!!! keep it up.............

6. jah-no-star

Drizzy we like educated guys too but who wants to wake up next to a monkey? We like guys who can give their own views about an issue and not just repeat what was read from a previous comment too. 😀

7. Drizzy

I guess that it's good to see who runs the site n business,but if you're a jamaican why aren't you runnin jno(jamaica news online) did somebody beat you to it? or maybe you are running it I don't know I guess it doesn't matter, but it would be nice if it was a lucian, n to all the ladies, I can only assume they're ladies cause these days you can never tell who is calling who cute, I guess looking "cute" is all y'all see, cuz dats whats important here, never mind his credentials,smh, n ask for the dating section uhhhh so many important issues to discuss with regards to st. lucia and the world, but nooooo lets have a dating section so lucians will know who their next "cute" date is, cuz dats whats really important now.....lolol,lmaoooo.......

• Son of Helen

Come on Drizzy, what happen to your Lucian sense of humour? Smile (only when there's no politician around) and the whole world smiles with you :)

• wake up

Then u as a lucian should have taken up the responsibility of making the sno... oohhh wait u dont no where to start well fyi somebody started it.

8. Drake

Uh, n i always thought sno was by a lucian,smh,oh well, if he's jamaican why couldn't he do jno(jamaica news online) or did somebody else beat you to it,would like to know the answer to that one, and to the ladies who keep saying he's cute,sure thats whats really important in life after all huh,who is cute and who isn't smh,a sno dating section lol the economy is in the toilet n there are hundreds of other more important topics buh lucians would only want to know who their next date is.....lmfao......

• Anonymous

Don't you benefit from what you read online? Doesn't it give you knowledge? Then if not start your own that's what you should have done in the first place.

9. That's Me Alright.

Wa gone Merrick? Nuff respect to you, my question is how do you understand our patios language before you print our comment? So proud of you buddy keep up the good works kuddos.

• Merrick Post author

Thanks. Truth is I don't understand it lol. I try not to approve them unless I get an interpretation.

10. ......

Jah no star that's not an opinion that's facts and am not being rude nothing I've said indicates that. he is the face of his business so a high level of professionalism should always be maintained. Like I said Merrick, good job and keep working hard.

11. jah-no-star

merrick, o merrick. Handsome? Indeed!! Check out his pink lips. And he's Jamaican. U know what they say about jamaican men? Hmmm.... So why are u single mr? But the dude how rude yo... Lol. Serious. He putteth thee in thy place. Lol. But y u wanna tell the man how to dress. Some opinions u need to keep to urself. He chose to put up a pic so we would know who he is. U wanted suit n tie? He does a good job. I don't have time to watch the news cuz I am out at the time it airs but i'm never 'derriere doe' lol. He broadcasts it as it comes. Good job dude

12. who

well its always good to put a face to a business etc.
    Job well done. like others I often read about stuff happenin here first b4 anywhere else. great effort on your part.

this is not to take away from what u hav done, but we lucians need to learn from such a standard set. look a Jamaican comes to st lucia and delivers such an important part of news delivery to citizens, specially in these modern technology times, news online is IT.

Big Up yourself. keep doin a great job.

13. Concerned parent

A job well done and I'm quite impress with your profile...and it looks like you're trying to sell yourself....btw you're cute

• Merrick Post author

Thanks. Not trying to sell myself. The disclaimer was quite clear. I am answering all the questions that are being asked of me. I am an open book.

14. lucian to the bone

You have surpassed HTS DBS and Choice TV for on time and up to the minute news. I have stopped watching the news channels because most times I've seen and read it on SNO. What I appreciate most is that if you do not have the facts you give a headline and then facts and details follow; BRAVO!!!!! With SNO we do not need any other. Welcome to sweet Saint Lucia.

15. ......

You should at least look more presentable. You are a professional so everything about you should reflect that. Anyway you are doing a marvellous job continue to work hard. Wish you all the best.

16. luciangirl

wow ure cute... an single??....now i'm agreeing with Son of Helen ...anyways fantastic job i always count on SNO for news first.

17. Anonymous

Good job. Keep it up . I live overseas and your news are always first . Well done .it makes us know what is happening in our country as a foreign national .

18. Redman

who cares who the reporter is, youre doing a good job but why the full resume on your life we dont need to know that.

• Merrick Post author

The readers are asking for it so why not give it to them. Nothing on my resume is a secret.

19. Son of Helen

Merrick, since you're at it, I think you should include a dating section on this site so people can also put their profiles LOL... Anyway I hope you're learning our French Kweyol, otherwise you'll only be 50% Lucian. Bienvenue à Sainte-Lucie!

20. J.V

Good job Merrick, when the country has breaking news you always deliver and I am most impressed with the updates on the intial story. Keep it up.

• sansha

He is so so cute. Wow, first handsome Jamaican Guy, I have Seen In Lucia. Job well done. First place I go to, when I put on my PC, because you Give the right news.