BOSL

DID YOU KNOW: Kaimite fruit

Anselma Aimable, SNO contributor

Kaimite fruit.

Did you know in St. Lucia there is a fruit called kaimite?

In other parts of the globe it is called cainito, caimito, star-apple, pomme du lait, aguay, abiaba, milk fruit, golden leaf tree, and estrelle.

The fruit is referred to as “bobi wata” or breast milk fruit in Sierra Leone. The kaimite belongs to the Sapotaceae family and the scientific name is chrysophyllum cainito.

The kaimite tree grows to a height of eight to 30 meters tall, and produces round or pear-shaped purple-skinned fruit. Caimito fruits are sweet and delicious. When the fruits are cut in half they resemble a star.

This feature runs every Tuesday and Thursday. It is written by daughter of the soil Anselma Aimable, a former agricultural officer and former correspondent for Caribbean Net News, who has a deep interest in local culture and history. Send ideas and tips to doublea@candw.lc.

(0)(0)

DOM
GLO

16 thoughts on “DID YOU KNOW: Kaimite fruit

1. south man

Yes I remember having this from some 20 years ago as a 6 year old child before I the island...upon returning some ten years after I have never seen it again ...not even bwee.... man or trees are dying

(0)(0)
  2. RP

I sooo remember eating kaimite fruit when we used to walked from Odsan to Bexon for school and church. There were some giant trees on a lady name Madejou just before Round The Bend Bar on the Bexon Highway. Man thanks for bringing back some good old days.
    I live aboard still very found of my island. I love my Helen of the West Indies.

(0)(0)
    • Anonymous

Miwiz(Governor plum)is what is just round the bend, I remember picking miwiz from 2 trees very close to the road side. Maybe there is a kaimit tree in the area but I have never seen them and I live in the area.

(0)(0)
  3. B A

I remember eating this when i was a little boy on my way home, after school.
    Haven't seen it in a while though.

(0)(0)
  4. Joseph Cherry

I remember picking Kaimite/ star apple with my late cousin John Fevriere at Deglos thirty years ago.

(0)(0)
  5. A.Aimable

Email writer here are the differences...When you cut bwi it does not resemble a star but when you cut Kaimite crosswise it resembles a star hence the name star-apple, when you cut carambola/five-finger is resembles a star also hence the name star-fruit.

(0)(0)
  6. A.Aimable

To the email writer these are Kaimite picked in my yard.. Miwiz(Governor plum) are different. In St. Lucia bwi is a smaller variety of Kaimite. Miwiz(Governor plum) are different.

(0)(0)
  7. Luciangirl

WOW!! I have never heard nor have I seen this fruit before ....where can i find it...is it sold in supermarkets?

(0)(0)